Mental health is the state of well being where a person is aware of his or her potential. In a good mental health, a person can work productively, contribute to the society and also be able to cope with stress. Our body and mind should both be healthy in order for us to function well. If you are constantly sad, stressed or worried about something, you may resort to mental health counselling.
Facts About Mental Health
Mental health is about being free from any kind of mental disorder. If the mind is unhealthy, the body will not be able to function well. Sometimes, factors like environmental, socioeconomic and biological can affect a person’s mental health. Any kind of disturbance in these factors can affect your mind. Sometimes, disturbing life events can affect your mental health. A sudden passing of a beloved or poor performance at office or school can affect your mind. Sometimes, marital problems, health issues or social exclusion can also lead to mental health problems. This gets further deteriorated by poor health, unhealthy food or negativity around.
Types of Mental Health Counselling
- Cognitive Therapy – In this type of counselling, therapists and psychiatrists help you change the way you think or behave to make you feel better.
- Behavior Therapy – In this type of counselling, focus is made on changing an unwanted or unhealthy behavior. Healthy habits or behaviors are enforced by special tricks and rewards.
- Group Therapy – In this type of counselling, an experienced person encourages patients to share their feelings. The members support each other and sharing one’s feeling often helps one overcome their grief.
- Psychoanalysis – In this type of counselling, you are allowed to think about your past. You are then made to think about the reasons why you behaved in a particular way.
Importance of Mental Health Counselling
- It helps you understand your condition better. Your therapist can comprehend the reasons for your illness and take steps to cure them.
- Counselling helps you get back to your normal self again and face challenges in your life. A therapist can help you determine the reasons behind your illness and also give you strength to face them in a healthy way.
- Mental health counselling can help determine your habits that aggravate your illness. This can help you change your behavior that contributes to your illness.
- It gives you room for healing. Once you accept your condition, you let go of your past and make room for the present and future. Counselling shows you various ways to become better.
- It also helps you get rid of your stress. When you talk to someone who understands your condition and gives you tips to get rid of it, you feel better and feel like stepping in the world with a changed behavior and mindset. You are also able to cope better with your problems.
This is the importance of mental health counselling. If you know someone who is into depression, help them meet a mental health counsellor soon.